Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Connections Nightclub, Northbridge

Perth is a little bit conservative. But, I have found a nightclub that kind of fits my purpose, not matter how I embarrass myself. I initially went there on the 5th day I was in Perth. I was offered crystal meth. Which, although I said no, was kind of awesome (as in, OMG someone thought I would say yes....OMG) I did go on a Wednesday night, wanting to see the Lesbian Mud Wrestling. Of course, I arrived at the unseemly opening time of 10ish pm and proceeded to drink scotch and coke, tall. I fell in love with my bartender, who firstly complemented me on how my dress made my breasts look fabulous, and then proceeded to serve me my drink of choice without me even having to ask...

Of course, there are a couple of things to say about this. I would have not mentioned this at all, but I did post this on Facebook, and if any straight man had said that to me I would have decked him. But, still, it was a fun night in which I threw up. This is the first time I have thrown up in ages, as usually I have a tiney little bit more continuity with my drinking. I drifted back towards my hotel room way after 3am, but enjoyed every minute of the cold walk.

Over 2 weeks later and I was out for Famous Fridays. Lucky for me, fabulous Queens were afoot. I was offered, again drugs in the form of some strange white powder, but again, was not interested in anything but scotch and coke, tall, shook my head and watched the misselaneous people on the dance floor. The music at Connections is loud, tripping your throat kind of loud, and hearing is difficult. There are spinning lights on the roof when you enter, and mirror balls and flashing lights on the dance floor. But, none the less, I was approached by a "gay" man. Of course, he was old, afraid, and really looking to score some pretty little straight morsel floating around such alternate gay clubs such as these. Funny. I was point blank outright with this man, Michael, but he was eager to hang around to see how drunk I would get. He was most annoyed when I stopped drinking after 2 drinks and said I was only here for the acts, Barbi and Ivy, so he became determined to "get"me drunk.

Relaxed, walking toward a spare table, I managed to fall over the dance floor (note, not fall ON the dance floor, but fall OVER the raised wooded portion.) I was SO very embarrassed, and Michael assumed I was as drunk as he was (yup, I had had 2, you had had 9...close?) Getting me another drink as the show started, Michael proceeded to freak at Ivy, insisting that she had had her "parts" cut off. I was hysterical. He was kind of offended I was laughing at him, but I was figuring that he didn't really come to these type of clubs much. I think it was a bit too....cultural for him. It was quite late into the early hours of the morning by this stage, and Michael, I think really drunk now, asked to feel the breasts of a woman standing on his right. She, smiling, said no, but that I, on Micheal's right could. Not needing another invitation, Michael abandoned to his obsessive need to find patently unavailable women in a gay club, I unregrettably left with this woman.

I think that is the fabulous thing about new places and new clubs. In spite of the embarrassing moment of falling over (in front of the towering stiletto wearing fabulous Queens by the way. Oh the shame!) and the hectic first night, and the blond of the second, fabulous Famous Fridays, I dont need to explain myself. I can love the Bartender, and have a slight crush on the beautiful redhead bartender (my first scotch and coke, tall in Connections) and even then, I can go on Mud Wrestling Wednesdays (even if work will be slightly wonky the next day) or Famous Fridays and still feel like, finally, there is a place that I can just listen to the music. That finally, I can fall over in front of Queens, and yet, still, I can return, comforted that the music will still be loud, and that the lights will still freak me out.

No comments: