Thursday, July 8, 2010

One Week in Perth (Fremantle)

It has been a very busy and slightly touristy week. I am now very very tired, but still getting up and checking out some more sights around Perth. Also, finding a full time job and fixing up my degree program. And finding somewhere to live. But, the problem with living in a hotel for a week, is that they change your towel daily and provide Breakfast and I don't have to do any cleaning. And they change the sheets. I like being this comfortable! I will be updating this blog a bit more than once a week, but this is a start, at least.

Fremantle, known locally as Freo, is pretty and has all of these old buildings, hidden allyways and expensive shops to lure tourists. Freo also is home to The University of Notre Dame, which has taken over all these old buildings just outside of the central shopping district. Notre Dame is one of two private universities in Australia (the other is Bond, on the Gold Coast in Queensland), and I would SO like to attend! But, alas, it is expensive and exclusive!
But, Freo is also the port area, so has quite a few ships hanging around in the harbor. I like it here, it is both functional and industrial while also having these organic markets, and old building's.
Freo is also home to the gaol, but I have not visited this yet. (When I do, I will let you know)
There is a artist, Wendy Binks, who has this little store full of Emu art. Binks has released several books, one of which is called "Where's Stripey?" This book is loved by my nephews. So I sent them some postcards with emu's and Stripey (the character) on them.
These photo's are from Freo harbor. I do have many more, but these ones I like. I will post about the time at the Zoo and the cruise along the Swan River soon...

No comments: